- Debbie Baisden
20 Ways to Drink More Water
We know we SHOULD drink more water, but HOW do we increase our water intake each day? Here are 20 suggestions!
1. Place a large cup of water by your bed or on your bathroom counter right before you go to bed at night. That way it's waiting for you as soon as you wake up!
2. Set an hourly alarm as a trigger to down 1 cup of water each hour that you're awake.
3. Use an app that helps you track your water and reminds you to chug 8 ounces.
4. Write on your water bottle time goals to meet. Use a permanent marker and draw rings around the bottle and label with various times of the day (by 9am, by noon, by 3pm, by 6pm, by 9pm). You can also purchase labeled water bottles. Buying a large bottle or using a pitcher makes it easy!
5. Make it a game. You are not allowed to drink coffee or any other drink until you've had enough water.
6. Use a straw. You may actually drink more!
7. Buy a water bottle you love and will actually use. I am partial to my Thermos because it's big and doesn't leak. I have other water bottles I like less and when I use them, I notice I drink less. Check out the HidrateSpark smart water bottle that glows to remind you to drink!
8. Eat your veggies. Fruits and vegetables are great ways to sneak in extra hydration. Load up on melon, cucumbers, lettuce, zucchini, cabbage, grapefruit, cantaloupe, oranges, spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, and celery.
9. Tea and coffee count! Both drinks are made with water so they can contribute to your water intake, just make sure they're in limited amounts.
10. Keep water nearby. Just by placing on your desk at work, in your cupholder in the car, or next to you on the couch, you're more likely to sip throughout the day.
11. Exercise. Exercise makes you thirsty and will cause you to want more H2O!
12. Flavor your water! Add BCAAs / mint / cucumber / citrus slices / fruit to make it tasty! These are way healthier than sugary drinks.
13. Tie it into a routine. Drink a glass every time you brush your teeth, take a shower, eat a meal, exercise, use the bathroom, etc.
14. Challenge a friend. Have a healthy competition to see who is chugging the most each day.
15. Double fist. Fill 2 water bottles at a time so you don't have to refill as often. Take both with you to your desk, counters, car, etc.
16. Fill up. As soon as you empty a glass, make it a rule that you must go fill it back up. You're more likely to drink if the glass is full.
17. Make festive ice cubes. We love visually appealing drinks so make ice cubes out of fruit juice, tea, or add berries to water for the freezer.
18. Eat spicy foods & salty foods. These will make you want to hydrate.
19. Experiment with temperature. Try it ultra chilled, room temperature, or warm to see what you like best.
20. Treat yourself! Reward yourself for hitting your goal every day for a week / month.
Women, aim for a minimum of 11.5 cups -- ease into this amount!
Men, aim for at least 15.5 cups.