- Debbie Baisden
10 energy vampires you need to banish
Any time someone is asked, "What would you do if you had 24 hours to yourself?" the answer always includes SLEEP and RELAX. Aren't we all so freaking tired, physically and emotionally?
The thing is, you might be CAUSING your exhaustion. Sigh.
So here are 10 THINGS VACUUMING ENERGY FROM YOUR BODY:
1. Not getting enough exercise. Not moving your body can make you want to move even LESS! Making time for exercise can get your blood pumping, improve your endurance, and boost your energy.
2. Eating processed and refined carbs. These might give you a quick shot of energy thanks to the blood sugar rush … but when your body sends out insulin to remove the sugar, it can make your blood sugar level plummet – leaving you tired and drained.
3. Not getting enough quality sleep. You already know this, but your body needs sleep to fully recover and recharge.
4. Food sensitivities. One side effect of eating foods that your body is sensitive to includes fatigue. If you think that you might have sensitivities, it’s worth checking with your doctor. Common culprits include gluten, dairy, corn, soy, and eggs.
5. Eating too LITTLE. Not getting enough fuel (i.e., food) can make you feel tired – and so can eating a poor-quality diet without enough nutrients.
6. Not getting enough protein. Studies show that eating protein boosts your metabolism, and scientists believe this may help prevent tiredness.
7. Drinking too little water. Studies show that being even a little dehydrated can make it harder to stay focused and leave you feeling drained.
8. Energy drinks (including coffee). Like refined carbs, these can send your energy up before crashing back down. Not only that but caffeine can take up to 8 hours to clear your system, making it harder to get a good night of sleep, adding to the energy drain.
9. Stress. Feeling constantly stressed can definitely deflate your energy, both mentally and emotionally. Just another reason it’s important to have (and follow!) a plan for managing stress.
10. Being in a negative environment. It’s possible to “catch” the moods of the people around you, but being aware of it can help lower your susceptibility, as can finding things that make you feel positive!
Bottom line … move your body … eat healthy whole foods … drink your water … and surround yourself with a positive environment … and your energy should quickly return!
If it doesn’t, it’s worth mentioning to your doctor to see if you have an underlying issue. When I had all 4 levels of my thyroid tested, it took years to balance out, but it changed my life 100%!
At Fit With Deb, I believe that your results are all connected – sleep, stress, nutrition, fitness, mindset, and more.
If you're looking to boost your energy, I have workouts, recipes, and resources that will help you RIGHT NOW! They're all found in my Fit + Fresh Membership!