KEEP YOUR BODY FEELING YOUNG
I’ve got a couple of anti-aging exercises for you … all backed by science.
Fact: Research shows that some body parts naturally get less mobile (i.e., more locked-up) as we get older – starting as early as our 30s and 40s.
Two major areas that don’t move as easily as we get older are our trunk (aka upper back & core) and our shoulders.
But the good news is, just as you can continue to build and strengthen your muscles as you get older, practicing flexibility and mobility exercises can keep you feeling limber.
And even more importantly, potentially help you avoid shoulder and back injuries.
I have a couple of exercises that are designed to help you rebuild and restore mobility through your shoulders and trunk.
They take just a few minutes, and if you make time for them 3-4 times a week you’ll notice results FAST. For even more benefit, do them when your body is warm – after a walk.
1. World’s Greatest Stretch (video demo: https://youtu.be/L5VzL9ki6ZA)
● Stand tall with your feet together. Step forward with your left leg and lower your body into a lunge.
● As you go down, place your right hand on the floor so it’s even with your left foot. Your right knee (the one extending behind you) should remain above the floor – not touching it.
● Next, drop your left elbow so that it's inside your left foot, and rest it on the floor (or as close as you can get).
● Square your hips so you feel a stretch on both sides, and try to keep your back as flat as possible.
● Now, raise your left arm up from the floor and twist toward the left, and extend your left arm up toward the ceiling, trying to straighten your arm.
● Be sure to breathe! Hold for a few breaths and repeat on the other side.
2. Shoulder Pass-Through (video demo: https://youtu.be/gTdAO2eCPGE)
You’ll need a stick (like a broomstick or dowel) or a resistance band to do this exercise.
● Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms in front of your body.
● Hold the stick or resistance band with straight arms, with an overhand grip.
● The stick/band should be below your waist, your hands wider than your shoulders. If you’re using the band, gently press outward to create a light amount of resistance.
● Engage your core and keep the rest of your body in position as, with straight arms, slowly raise the stick or band above your head, keeping your arms straight. Only go as far as comfortable.
● Hold the pose for a few seconds.
● Return to the starting position.
● Repeat 5 times.
Try these a few times over the next week and see for yourself!
Getting older is inevitable, but you have a lot more control over the aging process than you might think!
P.S. I'm all about helping clients create simple (but life-changing) habits to achieve REAL results. Be sure to check out Fit + Fresh Membership, which is yours for FREE right now! Head HERE for the free details!