My kids hate ugly food. Aren't we all visual people who appreciate beauty? I'll be real, most of my protein smoothies rival the appearance of a diaper's contents. Eeeew. So I try to decorate my shakes to enhance them (and it's the veggies that make them look ugly).
Do you know how to make a basic protein smoothie? I'm offering a Smoothie 101 course right here, right now! I'll walk you through the basic ingredients that blend into a work of art!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST PROTEIN SMOOTHIES IN THE GALAXY:
1. You need a non-ghetto blender. Your $14 score from Wal-Mart is likely not up for the challenge. Sorry to be dark-cloud-Debbie but you may need to invest in one that is more durable and better quality. (Here's what I use. The links included in this post may be affiliate links, but I only recommend what I use, and it's no extra cost to you!)
2. In your non-ghetto blender, start with a liquid base. Use 8-12 ounces. Do not use dairy or I will spank you; dairy/whey/casein/lactose harm your body in about 17 ways. Instead, let's use different liquids like:
Unsweetened airy-free milk (almond, cashew, coconut, hemp, flax)
3. Add in 1 scoop of Mom Fuel protein powder. You're gonna need to be a protein powder snob because most options on the shelves are filled with total crap. When you consume junk, your body revolts against you and refuses to deliver the results you crave. You want a dairy-free option without artificial junk! Having a high protein, low carb protein without a scroll of gross ingredients is not negotiable.
4. Add in your favorite fruit. Whoa, don't be like Pinterest by adding in pounds of fruit. Yeah, it's God's candy but a little goes a long way. Use 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup. Measure it because you know you'll add "just a little extra" otherwise. This is going to add color and sweetness to your life! I typically use frozen fruit! Some family favorites are:
5. It's time to take your vegetables. I pinky promise that you will NOT ever taste the veggies. Really really. Add a fistful of spinach or kale or frozen cauliflower! You're going to be healthy without even realizing it! If green smoothies make you feel green, use a black cup so you can't see the color.
6. Get creative! This is where your artistic side comes out and you can try different ingredients (they make pretty garnishes as well)! You can dramatically change the flavor and texture with these:
Nut butter (or powdered peanut butter)
pumpkin pie spice
Extracts (vanilla, butter, coconut, peppermint, etc)
Cake sprinkles for decoration (my kids' must-have)
7. Add ice if you like thick and chilled milkshakes! I usually don't have room left in my blender for ice, but it can even be thick enough to serve in a bowl like ice cream.
Now just blend well. I start on low and blend for a minute, then blend on medium for a minute, then on high for a minute. I want no trace of stems or leaves!
Now you have the perfect smoothie in your hand! Enjoy!
Our Family's Go-To Smoothie:
1 cup unsweetened cashew milk
1 scoop Mom Fuel protein powder
1 handful frozen spinach
2 Tbsp powdered peanut butter
3/4 cup frozen strawberries
I want to hear from you --> share your smoothie recipe!