- Debbie Baisden
85% of us use this to power our days
Did you know that there is a drug that 85% of us use every single day?
If you’re one of them, I have a little assignment for you. :) No, I am not going to ask you to quit.
It’s caffeine … and we use it to get going in the morning, power through workouts or work, and keep us going through the mid-afternoon slump.
Before telling you pros and cons, if you're not following Fit With Deb on Instagram, earlier in the week I shared on my stories 2 coffee memes:
1. "People who drink coffee are sexier than those who don't. (Source: people who drink coffee)"
2. "Coffee doesn't care if you wear pants. Coffee doesn't wear pants either. Pants are dumb."
The upside of caffeine?
● It gives you energy
● It boosts your alertness and ability to concentrate
● It can come in beverages filled with antioxidants that have health benefits (ex: tea!)
That’s all well and good ...
But there are a few downsides.
● It can take up to 10 hours to clear your system – which means it can also get in the way of relaxing – and falling and staying asleep.
● You can build up a tolerance after your body gets used to it, which means you might need to drink more of it to get the same effects.
● It can raise your blood pressure.
● It can make you “wired-tired”: jittery, overstimulated, and tired at the same time.
● It’s linked with migraines.
● It doesn’t mix well with some medications and health issues.
● Suddenly quitting caffeine can give you headaches and leave you feeling tired, achy, and even nauseous.
This leads me to that little assignment I mentioned earlier.
Today, take some time to ask yourself:
Are you using caffeine – or is it using you?
If you are feeling jittery and stressed, having a hard time sleeping, getting headaches, or finding that your tolerance for caffeine is increasing …
Or maybe you feel like you NEED it to keep going through the day – it might be time to reevaluate your caffeine use.
Just something to think about!